Last Updated on May 5, 2022 by The Noms
This tequila smash cocktail is a tasty combo of tequila, sherry and fruit juices. A refreshing and easy cocktail. Bright summer flavors combine in this great fall cocktail!
Margaritas and Palomas are classic tequila cocktails, but sometimes you want to mix it up (ha, get it?!) So enters this Tequila Smash. Juice from strawberries gives the drink a beautiful color, a dash of Amontillado sherry adds a hint of sweetness, and the sage leaves have an herbal flavor that elevates this to a very grown up tequila cocktail!
The vegetal and grassy notes of blanco tequila pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the strawberries and simple syrup and the earthy sweetness of the sage and nutty tobacco of the sherry. However, this is not an overly sweet cocktail, it is really balanced!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
The true definition of a smash is not really clear. But, basically, it is traditionally made of fresh fruit that is smashed and mixed with a little sugar, spirits/liquor, then poured over crushed ice. Topped with soda.
Smashes are really flexible, choose your favorite spirit, sweetener, citrus, fresh fruit, herb, then muddle the ingredients. They are a great summer sipper, but we made this in the fall to use up our sage! Which means you can tailor one to match pretty much any season or anything else. A great transition drink!
For this tequila smash, muddle together strawberries with a few lemon slices, add sage leaves, some lime juice and simple syrup. Muddle until you have broken down the berries, but still be a little gentle with the sage leaves. Then, add the blanco tequila, Amontillado sherry and then shake, shake, shake!
Strain into your favorite cocktail glass, and add some sage as a garnish, as the garnish makes the drink, right? It’s quick, easy, and you will not be able to get enough of this tequila cocktail!
Herbal Sage Flavor
The bold sage flavor in this cocktail is what wins us over!
You can smell the sage as you drink, but the flavor in the drink is much more subtle. It’s a great savory flavor that we really like to use in cocktails and can enjoy throughout the year.
What Kind of Tequila Should I Use?
We personally liked blanco tequila in this, but that’s a personal preference. You can also use reposado or anejo tequila which pairs with the beautiful sage flavor and sherry!
Just make sure it’s a good tequila (do I sound like Ina Garten?) and not a lower end one. I mean, we recommend that all the time, but this cocktail really focuses on the flavor of the alcohol!
What Sherry Should I Use?
There are many different types of sherry:
- Fino: dry, pale white sherry wine with a maturation of at least 2 years in wooden barrels prescribed by law, but the majority of good Finos are aged between four and seven years of age.
- Manzanilla: the same as Fino sherry but produced and matured closer to the sea. More coastal aromas than Fino, like seaspray, salt or iodine.
- Amontillado: oxidizes slowly, exposed to oxygen through porous oak, and gains darker color and richer flavor than Fino. Less fresh and citrusy than a Fino but with elegance and structure.
- Palo Cortado: has the aromatic refinement of Amontillado combined with the structure and body of an Oloroso. Amontillado on the nose, Oloroso in the mouth.
- Oloroso: nutty aromas, balsamic notes, dried fruits, toast, tobacco. There can be spicy notes. Often also truffle and leather. Naturally dry with high strength and full body of an Oloroso that can give it an impression of roundness and maybe sweetness.
- Pedro Ximénez: aromas of candied figs and dates with balancing flavors of chocolate, coffee, licorice and spices. Intensely sweet wines.
In this case we chose an Amontillado because of the citrus, which we thought would pair really well with the lemon and lime. An oloroso would go well with this as well, but it’s a little darker than the Amontillado.
We just loved the combo of the sherry with the tequila, the berries, citrus and sage. Hope you try this one out soon!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Tequila Cocktails
- Apple Cider Margarita – Gastronom
- Spiced Orange Honey Margaritas – Parsnips and Pastries
- Apples and Tequila Cocktail – Freutcake
- Cilantro Pineapple Margarita – Gastronom
- Pomegranate Tequila Sidecar – Hola Jalapeno
This Strawberry Sage Tequila Smash is full of summer and fall flavor at the same time. A great trquila and sherry combo, this cocktail is a great flavorful drink!
- 1.25 ounces blanco tequila
- .50 ounce Amontillado Sherry
- half a lemon, cut in slices or wedges
- .50 ounce lime juice
- .50 ounce simple syrup
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 3 sage leaves
- Tonic water
- Combine berries and lemon in bottom of shaker. Muddle to combine. Add in lime juice, simple syrup, and sage leaves.
- Muddle the sage leaves with the berries slightly.
- Add in tequila and sherry with ice.
- Shake to combine.
- Strain into glass (with ice or not, up to you)
- Top with tonic water. Garnish with more sage, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: .1gSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 17.5gFiber: .6gSugar: 2.9gProtein: .3g
PIN THIS TEQUILA SMASH RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.comFollow my blog with Bloglovin