Last Updated on October 15, 2023 by Leah Hall
A great green Halloween Margarita perfect for the holiday! Lime green sherbet combines with tequila and triple sec for this boozy margarita float that is sure to please, and so easy to make!
This green and murky desserty version of a margarita is sure to be a Halloween party crowd pleaser! This Green Sherbet Margarita Float is super easy to make, and can be a great way to cool down on a hot day. But, if you have chilly Halloweens like we usually do, this will make you think of summer with the addition of tequila!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
This margarita float would also be great at a Cinco de Mayo party, and also perfect for summer sipping, as well as an easy addition to a margarita bar! We love a margarita as well as a sherbet punch or pumpkin ice cream float with a scoop of ice cream, so we thought it would go well together! Try our non-alcoholic Pineapple Orange Sherbet Punch, too!
Margarita Float Cocktail
The secret ingredient in this margarita float? It’s lime sherbet! It’s a great addition to the drink, to make it a float, and a perfect Green Halloween Punch! Can’t beat that color! This super fun dessert twist on a classic margarita is perfect for Halloween.
The salted rim, tequila, triple sec, lime juice and lime sherbet combine to make the most refreshing cocktail recipe ever! Topped with lemon lime soda, this is an easy sip for a party. Also feel free to add ginger beer or ginger ale instead of the lemon lime soda, it’s a great flavor!
This sherbet punch as a float has been seen a lot at graduation parties, weddings, showers, whenever. It has such a brilliant green color that can be used as a punch to satisfy a crowd, but it’s usually without alcohol.
We loved the idea of a margarita, made even more lime flavored with the lime sherbet. (Lemon works nicely too, but not as fun of a color!) Spiked with the dash of sweetness from the triple sec and even more sour from the fresh lime juice, this is a hit all the way around. The salt rim and bite of the tequila is delightful, and a perfect party hit for all your visiting ghouls and goblins.
Ingredients Needed for the Margarita Float
- Sherbet – in this case we used lime sherbet, but really any color and/or flavor will work. We thought lime fit best for Halloween as well as just a fun color!
- Tequila – tequila blanco is the desired ingredient for this float, as it is clear and won’t change the color of the drink.
- Triple Sec – this orange liqueur gives a great flavor to the drink, and is a classic margarita ingredient. You could also use Grand Marnier instead, or Cointreau.
- Lime Juice – as always fresh lime juice is best!
- Lemon Lime Soda – we used Sprite for this, but any lemon lime soda will work. This is the “float” aspect of this delicious cocktail.
- Salt – we salted the rim like a proper margarita should be!
How to Make the Margarita Float
No cocktail shaker required, just build in the glass. Start off by salting the rim of your Collins glass by running a lime wedge around the edge and then dipping the rim in salt.
When ready to make the cocktail, scoop the lime sherbet into the glass, 3-4 scoops are perfect. We used a 1.5 ounce scoop for this, but an ice cream scoop works too. Then, use a jigger and pour in the tequila, triple sec, and lime juice.
Then, pour in the lemon-lime soda. You may have to add more because of the carbonation, but fill up to the top of the glass. Then, add a straw and a spoon for ease of eating and drinking! If you want another fun color Halloween cocktail, try our Blue Curacao Halloween cocktail, too!
Tips & Tricks
- Sherbet – feel free to use any flavor or color sherbet that you like. We thought green margarita fit the best for Halloween, but orange sherbet would be fun, or rainbow, or lemon….any would work! And could be made spooky! If you don’t want the dairy that is in sherbet, feel free to sub in a lime sorbet or other fruit based sorbet. Sorbet is just ice and fruit.
- Salt Rim – If you want to make the margarita salt rim more interesting, feel free to add some different flavors into the salt. You can color the salt black, or use black lava salt. You can add some sugar to the salt and have a salt and sugar rim. Or, you can add some lime zest in, orange zest or lemon zest too. Or, if you want to get spicy, have chili lime seasoning with a Tajin rim.
- Glassware – A tall glass is perfect for this cocktail recipe, and we have some great glassware selections like these Collins Glasses and Highballs.
- Bubbles – if you don’t want to use lemon-lime soda, feel free to sub in some ginger beer or ginger ale. The bright flavors of these will add some interest to this most refreshing cocktail.
- Garnish – we really didn’t garnish this cocktail other than with a fun straw and skull drink stirrer. But, you could use a lime peel, jalapeno slices, orange peel or lime wheels.
If you want to make this green Halloween punch in a large format for a party, please do, just make sure to add more fresh sherbet to the glass before dipping out of the punch bowl into your glass.
Other Halloween Cocktails
- Halloween Punch
- Nightmare on Whisky Street
- Eye Candy
- Vampire Negroni
- Halloween Pumpkin Cocktail
- Unicorn Blood
- Professor’s Poisoned Apple
- Hocus Pocus Drink
- Sanderson Sisters Potion
- Hocus Pocus Cocktail
- Specimen Cocktails
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Halloween Punch Recipes
- Halloween Punch – Blood Bags
- Candy Corn Punch – Nellie Bellie
- Halloween Punch – A Couple Cooks
- Halloween Scorpion Venom Punch– Culinary Ginger
- Halloween Eyeball Punch – Olivia’s Cuisine
This green Halloween punch is the perfect Halloween cocktail! A margarita float that is super easy to make, and also works as a dessert, too!
- 3-4 scoops lime sherbet
- 1 ounce tequila blanco
- .50 ounce triple sec
- .50 ounce lime juice
- lemon lime soda
- Rim a tall glass with salt - using a lime slice, or water on a plate, then dip in salt.
- Add in 3-4 scoops of lime sherbet.
- Add in tequila, triple sec and lime juice.
- Top with lemon lime soda, and serve with a straw.
You can use other color sherbet if you would like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 glass
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: .5gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 1121mgCarbohydrates: 26.2gFiber: .1gSugar: 31.6gProtein: 1.1g
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com