In our mind, cranberries are the perfect accompaniment to the holidays and Christmas! Makes a great snack, a great garnish or a beautiful decoration for your holiday table!
Cranberries always have made an appearance for the holidays in our house. We love using the tart berry in relishes and treats like muffins, but we also like the way cranberry can impart some delicious flavors to drinks. With the holidays quickly approaching we wanted to come up with another way that would make some great seasonal treats using some cranberries, so we came up with these sugared cranberries.
This recipe is a perfect holiday treat using this classic holiday berry to make a great snack or a sparkly garnish for a cocktail. The contrast between the tart cranberries and sugary coating makes this snack pop in your mouth. The overpowering tartness of the cranberries are tempered by a soak in hot sugar syrup giving the berries a balanced sweet and tangy flavor.
Another great part of this recipe is the resulting cranberry simple syrup that is perfect for use in homemade sodas or other cocktails. Sweet with just enough tang from the cranberries, the syrup is a festive addition to lots of drinks!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. (Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when you add them.)
- Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, this is your cranberry simple syrup.
- Store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Place sugar in a shallow dish. Add the cranberries, rolling to coat with sugar.
- Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin