Last Updated on January 15, 2023 by The Noms
This Winter Aperol Spritz is dressed up for winter with a cranberry infusion. A Cranberry Aperol Spritz is perfect for fall or winter. Bubbly Prosecco combines with a hint of cranberry and orange.
You know we LOVE an Aperol Spritz. It’s the quintessential summer cocktail, and has been that way for years. We love a great refreshing spritz, and couldn’t wait to try to make a winter twist on one for the holidays!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
Winter Aperol Spritz
Again, we know that an Aperol Spritz is usually a summer drink, but they are super refreshing all year long. They might be even better in the warm heat of summer, but we think they will be perfect next to the Christmas tree!
So, to transform the classic summery Aperol Spritz into a seasonal Cranberry Aperol Spritz takes just a simple infusion!
We infused the aperol with cranberries (can be fresh or frozen) and let the flavors infuse for at least 5 days. This seemed to us to be the optimal flavor release from the berries, and gave a great combo of orange and cranberry. Almost like Cranberry Orange relish!
With just this simple seasonal swap, you can enjoy this Winter Aperol Spritz, too! It’s perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a holiday party. It’s festive, light and refreshing!
What is Aperol?
Aperol is bright orange in color with a bittersweet flavor from a blend of herbs and roots, and some vanilla. It is citrusy and refreshing and is from Italy. This Italian aperitif is a pre-dinner liquor that is used as a palate cleanser.
And, obviously is the base spirit of an Aperol Spritz, along with Prosecco, and club soda over ice and garnished with an orange wedge.
What Ingredients are Needed for A Winter Aperol Spritz
- Cranberry Infused Aperol – an orange liqueur with flavors of citrus, herbs and vanilla. We infused cranberries in the Aperol for a winter twist.
- Prosecco – any brand will do. Prosecco is a sparkling wine that is a little sweeter than champagne.
- Club soda – absolutely any kind will do, you can even buy simple store brand for this. It’s just for the bubbles and to water down the cocktail.
For the garnish: an orange wedge is typical, but since you are doing a winter version, cranberries or a cinnamon stick would be great!
How to make a Cranberry Aperol Spritz
An Aperol Spritz is possibly one of the simplest cocktails to make, since no mixing, stirring or shaking is needed! Simply fill a glass with ice and top with ingredients in the order that they are listed in the recipe. By layering the ingredients in this order, the Cranberry Aperol Spritz takes on a slight gradient hue, but either way is a gorgeous bright color.
This cocktail does take a little planning ahead, because of the time needed for the cranberry infusion. About 5 days in advance add 1 cup of cranberries to 1 cup of Aperol. Crush a few of the cranberries, but not all in the jar, and then let it sit. Shake it daily. Check it at 4 days and if you like it, strain it out. Otherwise, you can even wait up until a week, but check it everyday after 4 days until it is as you like it.
Is an Aperol Spritz Only for Summer?
I think with this recipe we have proven the answer to be no. But, a traditional Aperol Spritz, most likely. It is a super refreshing and light sipper, and great on hot days.
Tips and Tricks
- Sugar Rim – A sugar rim is a great touch of winter snow if you want!
- Less bitter – if you want a sweeter cocktail, then add less Aperol and a little more prosecco.
- Glass – you can serve a spritz in a wine glass or a rocks glass.
- Garnish – some other garnish ideas could be a grapefruit slice, rosemary sprig and cranberries. Other ideas could be dehydrated orange wheels, sugared rosemary sprigs or cinnamon sticks.
- Prep Ingredients – make sure you have chilled all your ingredients before hand. This will help the ice to not dissolve too quickly and dilute your cocktail.
- Fresh Ingredients – make sure to use freshly opened Prosecco and soda water – this helps flavor as well as making sure the drink is bubbly. If you don’t use all your Proseeco, we recommend this Champagne Saver, it’s so great and will keep the bubbles fresh until you need your bubbles bottle again. Or, alternatively, if you are just making 1 or 2 Cranberry Aperol Spritzes, then open a mini bottle of Prosecco instead!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Spritz Cocktails
- Tropical Vodka Spritzer
- Fall Champagne Spritzer
- Sparkling Pear Spritzer – Snacks and Sips
- Lemon Non-Alcoholic Spritzer
- Jingle Juice Spritzer – Sparkles of Yum
A Cranberry Aperol Sprtiz that is perfect for winter sipping with a cranberry Aperol infusion. Great for the holidays and Christmas!
- 2 ounces Cranberry Infused Aperol
- 3 ounces Prosecco
- 1 ounce club soda
- To make the cranberry infused Aperol combine 1 cup cranberries with 1 cup Aperol. Muddle a few of the cranberries - like 8-10, not all. Let infuse for at least 4 days, we like 5 days time. Shake the infusion daily and then when to your liking strain out the cranberries.
- When ready to serve, add ice into a glass. Pour in Cranberry Aperol, Prosecco and Club soda.
- Garnish with an orange slice, or any holiday garnishes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
BETTFOR Champagne Stoppers with Stainless Steel Champagne Saver with Food Grade Silicone Leak proof Keep Fresh Suitable for Champagne, Cava, Prosecco and Sparkling (Silver, 2 Pack)
Rodelle Cinnamon Sticks, 8 Ounce
Dehydrated Orange - 3 oz - 25+ slices
Fever-Tree Club Soda, 6.8 Ounce Glass Bottles (Pack of 24)
Crystal-Clear Ice Ball Maker, 2-Cavity Mold, Jumbo Ice Balls, Better Kitchen Products
LUXU Wine Glasses
Serving Size:6 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Sodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 43gSugar: 27gProtein: 1g
PIN THIS CRANBERRY APEROL SPRITZ RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.comFollow my blog with Bloglovin