Last Updated on November 28, 2022 by The Noms
This smoky holiday cocktail recipe is perfect for celebrating. A fun margarita twist with mezcal and triple sec, we added a pineapple and cranberry syrup to it, and then some toasted pecan bitters for winter spice! This tropical yet smoky cocktail is a great tropical Christmas cocktail!
Cranberries and the holidays go hand in hand. The cranberry flavor plus the fun red/pink color they make everything (and every cocktail) makes it a favorite around here. We wanted a tropical Christmas cocktail, so we tried pineapple and cranberry together and had a winner. We think this cocktail should go on your list to make for the holidays!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
The margarita is one of our favorite drinks here, and we love making spins on the classic. This new variation, the Pineapple Cranberry Margarita makes for the perfect holiday cocktail recipe!
Mezcal and Christmas together at last! They were meant for each other, especially with cranberries! This pretty pink holiday cocktail recipe has Christmas Party written all over it. Try not to be festive with that glass in your hand, bet you can’t!
We have a mezcal and cranberry cocktail, but it’s not overly Christmas, so we had to fix that!
Holiday Cocktail Recipe
This bright pink drink is stunning to look at, and the sweet tart flavor is crisp and refreshing! It has the character of the classic margarita (tequila, lime juice and triple sec), but of course we switched up the flavors! So we subbed in mezcal for the tequila, and then added a fabulous tart pineapple and cranberry simple syrup. We have a great Spiced Gin Punch that’s perfect for the season, too!
Pineapple and Cranberry Simple Syrup
This is a fabulous unknown combo to us, and we highly recommend it. This syrup just seems to keep popping up in a lot of cocktails lately in our house, it just seems to keep coming out of the fridge and jumping in our drinks, LOL!
So we made a Cranberry simple syrup with sugar, but subbed in pineapple juice for the water in the original recipe. It’s a lovely pink color and has a tart sweetness from the cranberries, plus the pineapple juice gives a fresh, tropical flavor that I didn’t know I needed in my life!
One of our favorite ways to customize any cocktail is with a flavored simple syrup. They can really elevate cocktails to a whole new level and really couldn’t be easier to make. Simple syrups are most often a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. Add in ingredients like fruit, herbs, ginger or cinnamon sticks to steep in flavor. Make sure to check out all our simple syrup recipes.
The best part about making your own simple syrups is you can make them however you like, like using pineapple juice instead of water. They are also cheaper than store bought and they last up to a month in the refrigerator.
The margarita is one of the most famous classic cocktails. It was invented in the 1930s and is on the list of International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails, which means that there is an “official” definition of the recipe. The classic margarita uses lime juice, Cointreau, and tequila.
More cranberry cocktails
We have a lot more cranberry cocktails, as the flavor is fresh and tart, either using juice or fresh cranberries themselves! Cranberry cocktails have been around since the 1940ss, when it seems cranberry juice started being marketed as a mixer for cocktails.
- Mistletoe Martini
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Mulled Wine
- Cranberry Negroni
- Cranberry Rosemary Old Fashioned
- Cranberry Aperol Spritz
Ingredients for the Holiday Cocktail Recipe
- Pineapple Cranberry Simple Syrup: a sweet and tart simple syrup. (recipe and more info below)
- Lime Juice: fresh squeezed is best
- Mezcal: you can use tequila if you would like, instead of the mezcal, but the mezcal gives such a great smoky flavor to the cocktail, so we encourage you to use it!
- Triple Sec: orange liqueur (you can use any orange liqueur), adds a great sweet orange flavor to the cocktail.
- Bitters: we used a toasted pecan bitters, but any nut bitters would work. It gives a great baked goods feel to this tropical cocktail.
- Cranberries: These are for garnish and add a beautiful pop of color on top.
Tips for Serving
This would be a great big batch serve for a party.
- Serve in a large punch bowl with ladle so guests can fill their own cup. (Stir between
- Use some fun holiday glasses. Or vintage punch glasses.
- Top with fresh cranberries or rosemary to add some green touches.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Tropical Christmas Cocktails
- Mele Kalikimaka Mai Tai – Pineapple and Coconut
- Rum Rum Reindeer – Feast in Thyme
- Christmas Drink – Seasoned Sprinkles
- Boozy Christmas Slush – Love in My Oven
- Mele Kalikimaka – Moody Mixologist
This tropical sip is the perfect holiday cocktail recipe. A mezcal, pineapple and cranberry cocktail is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday in a tropical way!
- 1.50 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce pineapple cranberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- .25 ounce lime juice
- .25 ounce triple sec
- 2 dashes Toasted Pecan bitters (or any nut bitters)
Pineapple Cranberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- dash of salt
Pineapple Cranberry Margarita
1. Combine all ingredients into a shaker with ice.
2. Shake and strain into glass with crushed ice.
3. Garnish with cranberries, orange slices or rosemary sprigs. A straw is perfect with this.
Pineapple Cranberry Simple Syrup
1. Combine juice, salt and cranberries in small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, and until cranberries pop open.
3. Take off of heat and let sti until cool.
4. Strain out cranberry solids with fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth.
5. Store in a jar in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
If you can't get toasted pecan bitters any nut bitters will work. Walnut, hazelnut, etc.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:4 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Sodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 24.4gSugar: 5.8g
PIN THIS PINEAPPLE CRANBERRY MARGARITA RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.comFollow my blog with Bloglovin