Last Updated on August 30, 2021 by The Noms
This fancy Irish coffee takes a regular Irish coffee to the next level with a dash of Baileys, fluffy whipped cream and hazelnut coffee. Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! And, great for enjoying for the holiday, an after dinner drink, or breakfast you need to be sipping this Bailey’s Irish coffee!
Cold evenings are the perfect reason to enjoy a a warm cocktail. This Blizzard Cocktail is based on the classic Irish Coffee, but adding some hazelnut and Bailey’s Irish cream to add a bit of flavor to make a nice nightcap or a great way to start the day!
Between the hot brewed coffee and the strong Irish whiskey, this drink is sure to pack a punch in all the best ways.
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
So Irish coffee, have you ever had one? A regular Irish Coffee can be a surprising cocktail, because it looks super sweet, and this one isn’t. It does packs a punch from the Irish whiskey and has great flavor with the bitter coffee!
It has a little sweetness, but not too much, but you can add a little brown sugar if you would like to – or more whipped cream. We aren’t judging!
In our case we used Irish Whiskey (duh!), Bailey’s for richness, hazelnut coffee (loved the flavors with the whiskey) and half and half. So, that’s why we called it a Blizzard. The ingredients combined make for a lighter version, and make it perfect for winter for sure! So, it’s definitely a take on an Irish Coffee that is perfect for all winter long!
You can sub milk if you don’t want to use half and half, but I would avoid heavy cream as it would be too rich for the drink. A great hot drink for the season!
What’s in Irish coffee?
We have seen many versions of Irish coffee, but the main ingredients usually consist of
- Brown Sugar
- Irish whiskey
- whipped cream
The idea is to drink the coffee through the thick cream. We helped the whipped cream along here with the addition of the Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Then, you can garnish the coffee however you see fit. We added a dusting of cinnamon on top! But feel free to add chocolate curls or a dusting of cocoa!
Which whiskey should you use?
This recipe calls for Irish whiskey, which means exactly what it is, a whiskey made in Ireland. While you can use any type of whiskey that you like, for it to be true Irish coffee you’ll want to use an Irish whiskey. And in this case, Irish Cream!
So if you are looking for a more authentic Irish Whiskey experience, here are some suggestions:
Tips for this Baileys Irish Cream Coffee
- No worries if you don’t have a glass mug, your favorite coffee mug will do fine! Make sure to fill your mugs with hot water while you are prepping the ingredients for this cocktail. That way you have a warm mug already, and it won’t cool off too quickly!
- You can use store bought cream (Reddi Whip or even Cool Whip) or you can make your own homemade cream. I will say the homemade is best, but you do you, and make it easy!
- Use strong coffee! Make sure it’s a brand you like. We used hazelnut in this recipe, so we encourage that for the flavor, but really any will do. And brew it strong and dark!
- Like we stated above, garnish this with what you like. We used a dusting of cinnamon, but cocoa powder, chocolate curls and more will work well to make this pretty!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
More Hot Cocktails
- Hot Buttered Bourbon Spiced Cider
- Hot White Russian – Rachel Cooks
- Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- Hot Gin
- Hot Apple Pie Bourbon Cocktail – Just a Little Bit of Bacon
More Bailey’s Cocktails
- Bailey’s Mint Martini – Lemon Tree Dwelling
- Bailey’s Chai Cocktail – Cookie Rookie
- Druken Snowman – I am Baker
- Creamy Irish Mocha Latte – Garlic and Zest
- Bailey’s and Chambord Hot Chocolate – Eating Well
A Winter cocktail to stay warm with, this Blizzard is made with Irish Whiskey and Bailey's. A Bailey's Irish Coffee perfect for St. Patrick's Day!
- 1.50 ounce Irish whiskey
- 2 ounce half and half
- .50 ounce Irish cream liqueur, such as Bailey's
- Hot hazelnut roast coffee
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon for garnish
Pour the whiskey, half and half and Bailey's Irish cream into a mug.
Stir. Add hot coffee.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkle cinnamon on top to garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 10.2gSaturated Fat: 6.3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 9.6gSugar: 5.8gProtein: 2.5g
PIN THIS BLIZZARD COCKTAIL RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.comFollow my blog with Bloglovin