Last Updated on September 23, 2022 by The Noms
Easy to make 3 ingredient homemade cinnamon simple syrup. It adds sweetness and cinnamon flavor to drinks and cocktails with this flavored simple syrup!
Homemade simple syrup is an inexpensive way to add different flavors for drinks in your home bar. Simple syrup only requires water, sugar and a little time on the stove. Adding the cinnamon flavor is as simple as a few cinnamon sticks in the syrup and letting it steep.
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
How Do You Make Simple Syrup?
Making simple syrup only takes a few simple steps! Bring sugar and water to a boil together in a small saucepan over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves. If you are wanting any flavor in your simple syrup, then add the flavoring that you would like the syrup to have.
For this Cinnamon Simple Syrup, we used some cinnamon sticks. When adding in the cinnamon sticks, let boil for a minute or two then remove the syrup from the heat and let it sit to steep.
What Kind of Cinnamon Is Best for Simple Syrup?
The cinnamon sticks you use depends on the flavor you prefer.
There are two types of cinnamon:
- Ceylon (aka Mexican cinnamon): milk, slightly floral and citrusy. Good to pair with fruit flavors. Lighter in color, thinner sheets. More expensive as it’s seen as “true” cinnamon.
- Cassia, which may be labeled Indonesian Korentje or Vietnamese Saigon. Most common cinnamon found in the US, and a great baking choice. Darker color.
What Type of Sugar Works Best for Cinnamon Syrup?
- Regular white granulated sugar is a great option.
- Demerara sugar is another great choice that can give the syrup a richer flavor.
- Brown sugar is also a great choice, but it’s best to half it with white sugar. The cinnamon flavor may disappear behind the brown sugar. But, brown sugar spiced syrup would be delicious with some more baking spices added.
- Sugar substitutes: honey, maple syrup, date sugar or agave. As well as Splenda, Stevia, et al.
What to Use Cinnamon Syrup In
Cinnamon is a versatile flavored syrup, and is great for a lot of drinks. Obvious cocktails perfect for cinnamon syrups are any fall and winter recipes. There are also recipes that call for this syrup aren’t seasonal. Cocktails such as
Cinnamon Syrup can also can be used in:
- Coffee, Lattes, iced coffee
- Hot Chocolate
Ground Cinnamon Vs. Cinnamon Sticks
You can make this syrup using ground cinnamon. Just know that ground cinnamon is not going to dissolve completely into the syrup. You can still get a flavorful and rich simple syrup. But, there will be some ground cinnamon left in the syrup.
We personally don’t like that aspect, but it doesn’t affect the flavor of your cocktails or drinks. Maybe just shake the syrup jar before using it to make sure any ground cinnamon is mixed.
Cinnamon sticks will give the flavor without the ground cinnamon residue. But, cinnamon sticks are more expensive to have on hand.
Tips for Cinnamon Simple Syrup
- How Long Does Infused Simple Syrup Last? Store the syrup in the refrigerator, it will keep well for up to a month.
- Two cinnamon sticks are enough and give the syrup a nice flavor. You can break them up into pieces for more surface contact with the syrup if you would like, or let the syrup steep longer for more flavor.
Other Homemade Simple Syrup Recipes
- Apple Cider Simple Syrup
- Rhubarb Syrup
- Mint Simple Syrup
- Rich Raspberry Syrup
- Lilac Simple Syrup
- Aronia Berry Syrup
- Hibiscus Syrup
- Peach Simple Syrup
- Thyme Simple Syrup
- Basil Simple Syrup
- Sage Simple Syrup
- Pine Simple Syrup
- Blackberry Simple Syrup
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
More Simple Syrup Recipes
- Rosemary Simple Syrup
- Bubblegum Simple Syrup – We are Not Martha
- Cranberry Simple Syrup
- Sugar Cookie Syrup – A Cup Every Day
- Fennel Simple Syrup
This cinnamon simple syrup adds a warmth to cocktails and drinks, as well as coffee and desserts!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, and when it starts to simmer, add cinnamon sticks.
- Once the syrup boils, pull off of heat and let cinnamon sticks steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Let cool and strain out cinnamon sticks.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:.50 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Carbohydrates: 12.5gSugar: 12.5g
PIN THIS CINNAMON SIMPLE SYRUP RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.comFollow my blog with Bloglovin