Last Updated on January 15, 2023 by The Noms
We love a good Old Fashioned cocktail, and this Cranberry Christmas Old Fashioned is perfect for the holidays! Cranberry Simple Syrup, Rye and bitters are a great combo!
We love a great Old Fashioned, but it is nice to occasionally mix it up with some seasonal additions. With Christmas coming up, we are embracing the Yuletide spirit and made a Christmas version of this classic cocktail! Cranberries are a classic Christmas ingredient and we always make sugared cranberries for Christmas. These cranberries are great for decorative garnishes and a special treat, plus making the sugared cranberries leaves us with an awesome cranberry syrup that just begs to be used in a cocktail.
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
What is an Old Fashioned Cocktail?
We think the Old Fashioned could be called the original cocktail. We’ve talked about this in other posts before, and a “Whiskey Cocktail” was one of the first mentions of a cocktail in print in the United States in the early 1800s. It was a whiskey cocktail, made with whiskey, sugar, and bitters. This print was in a newspaper in upstate New York.
An Old Fashioned is stirred over ice to dilute it and strained into a rocks glass over a large cube of ice. In a classic recipe the Old Fashioned is garnished with an orange twist and a cocktail cherry.
We know that every whiskey drinker or cocktail fiend has their own favorite Old Fashioned recipe. We usually do high proof bourbon or rye, and we knew we wanted to do rye in this Christmas Old Fashioned. High proof is an option that is up to you!
An Old Fashioned is usually made with bourbon, but rye whiskey or spirits like rum, Scotch, or tequila can also be used.
This Cranberry Old Fashioned is easy to make and we think perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and all parties in between.
How to Make This Christmas Old Fashioned
A great whiskey is essential to a good Old Fashioned, and in this case we started out with a rye whiskey. We used Redemption Rye in this, which is great for sipping neat, but also makes for an excellent base spirit in this Christmas Old Fashioned.
This super simple Christmas Old Fashioned cocktail combines this rye whiskey with a made-from-scratch cranberry syrup, a few smashed cranberries and bitters. With an optional sugared cranberry garnish, this holiday cocktail looks as fantastic as it tastes!
Just combine the cranberry simple syrup, rye whiskey and bitters and stir together with some ice. Before pouring, crush a few cranberries in the glass and top with ice cube. Pour in the chilled whiskey mixture. Garnish with an orange slice and cranberries!
We really like the way the Rye whiskey works in this drink, as it brings a warm flavor of honey, maple syrup and peppery spice. The maple flavor of course works really well at Christmas. Try some more winter flavors in these winter Cranberry Rosemary Old Fashioned cocktails, or our Pine Old Fashioned!
Cranberry Simple Syrup
We already have a great recipe for Cranberry Simple Syrup, but in this recipe, use as much (or as little) as you want for sweetness. It adds a great color, as well as flavor, perfect for a Christmas cocktail.
This makes for a great holiday cocktail presentation, to impress your guests! Just make sure to enjoy these while enjoying the season with your family and friends!
What Ingredients are Needed for the Christmas Old Fashioned?
- Cranberry Simple Syrup – in this particular Christmas Old Fashioned recipe, you can use as much or as little syrup as you like. We use more for ourselves, as we love the crushed cranberries in this too, which adds a little bit of sour and bitter to the cocktail, so we add more simple syrup to balance it, but feel free to play with the amount. Use .25 oz – 1 oz and see what you like. Plus, the color is so fun!
- Rye Whiskey – Rye whiskey is of course different across brands, but the majority will add some fruit flavor, some smokiness and spices to whatever cocktail you are using it in. Great for winter drinks! Some great choices are High West Rendezvous Rye, Knob Creek or George Dickel.
- Angostura Bitters – we always call bitters our salt and pepper in drinks, and just plain Angostura bitters are a win here, to let the cranberry flavor shine. It takes away a bit of the sweetness and brings out the spicy nature of the rye.
- Sugar Rim – optional, but we love the dash of whimsy and sparkle it gives the cocktail. If you don’t want it sweet, feel free to leave it off, or only do half the glass for effect. It’s like a winter dusting of snow on top, and we use some cranberry simple syrup and then dip the glass in sugar for the rim. Perfect addition to feel festive.
- Orange Slice – Again, optional, but it adds a great nose when drinking the cocktail, and as the cocktail warms, adds some great citrus flavor to the drink.
- Cranberries – we press down (not crush) 3-5 cranberries at the bottom of the glass before pouring in the liquid in this cocktail. This adds some bitterness and sourness to the cocktail, plus some fun berries in the cocktail! Also – feel free to add some sugared cranberries as garnish if you would like!
Tips & Tricks
- Christmas – you can make a big batch of cranberry simple syrup a week or so before the holiday. When it is time to serve, you already have the most important ingredient already made. Easy and festive!
- No Sugar – if you want a low carb or “healthier” cocktail, make a cranberry simple syrup with stevia or splenda. Just sub in the sugar substitute for sugar in the recipe (or less if you want it less sweet).
- Whiskey – Again, we used a rye whiskey in this Christmas Old Fashioned. But, to switch it up, a bourbon or rye finished in a port, sherry or rum cask would be LOVELY in a Christmas cocktail like this one.
- Bitters – We used Angostura bitters in this. But, if you want to switch up the flavor a bit, try orange bitters or even a cardamom bitters for extra flavor.
- Garnish – for an extra festive garnish, place a few sugared cranberries on a cocktail pick. Or, just plain cranberries. Place a rosemary sprig in the glass, an orange peel instead of orange slice, cinnamon stick or pine tree stirrer. Just make it festive and fun!
- Ice – You know our love of ice. So of course in an Old Fashioned, we suggest using a large square or circular ice cube for this cocktail instead regular ice cubes. Not only does it look cool, but it melts slower.
- Chilling the Cocktail – A Christmas Old Fashioned should be well stirred and chilled in a mixing glass with a long bar spoon. Then pour it into the glass with your large ice cube. Generally stir for around 30 seconds. It helps dilute it and chill it.
- What to Serve it With – we recommend our Holiday Berry Bites, Sweet Potato Guacamole Bacon Bites, Cherry Crostini, Candy Cane Skillet S’mores, or Roasted Grapes.
Other Christmas Cocktail Recipes
- Yule Mule
- Sparkling Pine Cranberry Mocktail
- Cranberry Orange Shrub
- German Fire Punch
- Cranberry Red Hound
- Hot Gin Toddy
- Cranberry Non Alcoholic Mule
- Slow Cooker Mulled Cranberry Wine
- Grinch Cocktail
- Holiday Berry Sparkler
- Peppermint Punch
- Holiday Ginger Flip
- Blood Orange Sangria
- Holiday Honey Punch
- Non Alcoholic Mulled Wine
- Bourbon Maple Eggnog
- Gingerbread G & T
- Eggnog White Russian
- Mrs Claus Cocktail
- Winter Whiskey Sour
- Spiced Gin Punch
- Tom & Jerry
- Salted Butterscotch Eggnog
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Old Fashioned
- Rosemary’s Pear
- Cranberry Aperol Spritz
If you came because of this old phot0 – you are in the right place! We just made an updated post on November 8, 2022. Cheers!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Holiday Old Fashioned Recipes
- Sugar Plum Tequila Old Fashioned – SpiritedLA
- Holiday Old Fashioned – Just a Little Bite
- Browned Butter Old Fashioned
- Winter Spiced Old Fashioned – Spoon Fork Bacon
- Spiced Rye Old Fashioned
Other Cranberry Cocktails
- Cranberry Mulled Wine – Swanky Recipes
- Mistletoe Martini
- Coconut Cranberry Punch – Craft and Cocktails
- Cranberry Negroni
- Smoky Cranberry Cocktail
Christmas Old Fashioned - A Rye Whiskey Cocktail
An orange and cranberry holiday version of the classic Old Fashioned cocktail.
Cranberry Old Fashioned
- sugar, for rim
- 3-5 cranberries
- 2 ounces Rye Whiskey
- .25 ounce to 1 ounce cranberry simple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- orange slice
If desired, rim glass with sugar, using the cranberry simple syrup to help the sugar slick.
Place 3-5 cranberries into glass, and press down (crush, don't muddle) the cranberries in the glass.
Add ice ball or square to glass.
Add rye whiskey, simple syrup and bitters to mixing glass. Add ice.
Stir until chillled, about 30 seconds.
Strain into glass rimmed with sugar. Garnish with orange slice and sugared cranberries if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TINANA Crystal Clear Ice Ball Maker, 4 Cavity Large Clear Ice Balls Form, 2.36” Round Ice Sphere Trays for Whiskey, Cocktail, Brandy, Bourbon
OXO Good Grips 3-Inch Mini Strainer
A Bar Above Hawthorne Strainer for Cocktails
Hiware Mixing Glass
Cocktail Muddler - Stainless Steel - Grooved Nylon Head - Create Delicious Refreshing Cocktails by Decodyne.
Angostura Bitters Set
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 16.6gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 15.7gProtein: 0.2g
PIN THIS CHRISTMAS OLD FASHIONED RECIPE FOR LATER!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Check out some other Christmas recipes below.
Candy Cane S’mores Skillet Dip with Boozy Marshmallows
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
25 Christmas Cocktails That Will Have You Feeling Merry and Bright - Let's Eat Cake
Monday 12th of December 2022
[…] You can thank cranberry simple syrup and rye whiskey for the stronger, more tart flavor and Gastronom for the […]
17 Classic Christmas Cocktails For A Holly Jolly Holiday - The XO Factor
Wednesday 27th of November 2019
[…] Get recipe source: gastronom blog […]
12 Cozy Cocktails to Pair with Your Favorite Holiday Films – The Sunny Side Lifestyle Co.
Wednesday 20th of November 2019
[…] Christmas Old Fashioned by Jay and Leah of Gastronom […]
10 Festive Bourbon Cocktails For The Holidays | The Cooking Bride
Tuesday 12th of November 2019
[…] Cranberry Christmas Old Fashioned […]
52 Best Christmas Cocktails - She's Living Her Best Life
Tuesday 29th of January 2019
[…] photo & tutorial credit: gastronomblog.com […]