Easy weeknight meal with these versatile stuffed peppers.
If you want a quick, easy meal, and if you have some fresh bell peppers laying around waiting to be used, we have the meal for you! This 30 minute meal can easily be adapted to fit your mood, be it Italian (as pictured), or you can go Mexican taco or twist it up and make a Philly steak pepper!
We love to go Italian style in the summer, especially when our garden is cranking out fresh green peppers, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil!
These cheesy stuffed Italian peppers is one of the meals we like to make with our kids, letting them fill the peppers and cover the peppers with cheese and the occasional extra cherry tomato. While this can lead to some interesting moments in the kitchen, it is a great way to get the kids involved with cooking and maybe get them interested in eating their veggies!
We like to keep the peppers a little bit more crisp by not parboiling them, which allows for a better crunch and a better bit of pepper flavor. Finishing it up with a toasted layer of melted cheese and fresh strips of basil makes for a great meal!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, plus 1/2 cup shredded cheese, Mozzarella or Romano
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise, with seeds and tops removed, parboil if desired
- Brown ground beef, add in onions, peppers and tomatoes. Cook veggies until they soften slightly.
- Add in spices and tomato sauce until slightly cooked down.
- Add in the 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and mix in pan.
- Take off of heat, and arrange halved bell peppers in an 8x11 or 9x13 pan.
- You can parboil the peppers if you would like, but we like the added crunch of the raw peppers. Add meat mixture to bell peppers, top with shredded cheese, and top that with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!