A great vegetarian meal for a weeknight or Taco Tuesday!
With two hungry little boys in our house, every night could be taco night if we agreed to our boys’ demands! With tacos being a very popular menu choice, we like to find lots of ways to make different variations to ensure that we don’t fall into any ruts!
When you have a young kid who is somewhat stubborn about what he eats, sometimes those variations can be a little crazy, but when you have a taco crazed kid, you might even go so far as putting spaghetti in a taco!
One of the variations we recently tried that was a huge hit was a vegetarian recipe, our Sweet Potato Black Bean and Corn Tacos.
While most people are used to using black beans and fresh corn in a taco, sweet potatoes are definitely something out of the ordinary. Normally sweet potatoes are thought of as a side dish found on a Thanksgiving table, so using sweet potatoes as part of a main dish that could be served year round was kind of exciting to someone who loves this sweet tuber.
Roasting the sweet potatoes brought out their natural sweetness and made them fork tender. A drizzle of honey, cumin, fresh cracked black pepper and garlic salt adds a bold perfume of roasted spices that gives the sweet potatoes a delicious southwestern flavor.
We combined the roasted sweet potatoes with sauteed red onions, black beans and corn which added a savory note that balanced the warmth of the roasted sweet potatoes. The red onion and corn add a satisfying pop of texture.
We topped out tacos with some crumbles of queso fresco (a delicious Mexican cheese) and some chopped cilantro.
A dollop of sour cream brings a rich cool creaminess top the top. A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds a delightful burst of citrus brightness that brings out the flavors of the roasted spices and veggies and a definite Mexican flair! Cheers!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Vegetarian Tacos
Roasted Veggie Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce – Inspired Taste
Mexican Vegetarian Tacos – Hurry the Food Up
Vegan Tacos – Bon Appetit
Quinoa Taco Meat – Minimalist Baker
Veggie Tacos – Cookie and Kate
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ground pepper
- garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can, corn, drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Cut up the sweet potato, spread out on cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey, sprinkle cumin, pepper and garlic salt over the top.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes, tossing about halfway through roasting.
- Meanwhile, saute onion with 1 Tbsp olive oil, adding garlic when onion is almost completely cooked.
- Add in black beans and corn, heat until warmed.
- Add in sweet potato when done roasting, top all with lime juice.
- Serve with flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
- Additional toppings: cojita cheese, cilantro, pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, lettuce, cabbage, or hot sauce!
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!