We have one rule of thumb we always follow when we celebrate Cinco de Mayo: Always have a top notch margarita or poloma in your hand! This year we decided to try out a brand new margarita using some of the fresh herbs from our garden and one of our favorite fruits, pineapple, to make the Fresh Pineapple Cilantro Margarita! Combining two flavors commonly found in Mexican quisine, this drink is pleasantly sweet and tart with a great herbal burst that brings images of sitting on the beaches of the Mayan Rivera sipping on drinks and eating delicious fresh salsa!
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 oz tequila, blanco or silver
- 1 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1 oz simple syrup (you can add another 1/2 oz if not sweet enough)
- 2 oz lime juice
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- Muddle pineapple chunks and cilantro, add tequila, triple sec, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Shake vigorously for 1 minute until combined. Strain into a glass rimmed with salt and crushed ice. Garnish with pineapple and a sprig of cilantro.
- The herbal flavor of the cilantro cuts the sweetness of the drink, and depending on how sweet your pineapple is, we added a bit of simple syrup to the ingredient list.