Last Updated on September 17, 2023 by The Noms
A Rhubarb Basil smash is a refreshing summer cocktail. Tart rhubarb used in sweet syrup and muddled basil gives an herbal addition. Rhubarb and basil, fresh out of our garden into a cocktail!
One of our favorite things about the early season farmer’s markets are the fresh herbs and wonderfully tart fresh rhubarb of rhubarb season. This past week we brought home a nice batch of rhubarb that we used to make a delicious strawberry and rhubarb tart. We had a few stalks left over and not wanting to waste the fresh produce, we decided to make a rhubarb syrup that we could use in a rhubarb drink.
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
If you make our rhubarb syrup you can make a lot of tasty rhubarb cocktails! Once you have your own batch of syrup make sure to mix up a Rhubarb Collins, Rhubarb Gimlet, Rhubarb Sour, Rhubarb Margarita or more in your home bar!
How to Make a Rhubarb Cocktail
This vodka and rhubarb cocktail is full of flavor from fresh rhubarb and fresh basil! Garden in a glass for sure! Just 4 ingredients, this one is simple, light and refreshing. Plus, you don’t need a cocktail shaker to make this delicious cocktail.
First, you have to make the homemade rhubarb simple syrup. We have instructions for the syrup on the blog post, but simply combine sugar, water and rhubarb over medium heat. When pink and syrupy, take off the heat and let cool. Strain out the rhubarb pieces with a fine mesh strainer, and you will have a beautiful pink color syrup for cocktails and more!
As soon as you have the syrup, make sure you have basil leaves, tear some up and muddle slightly in the glass. This breaks them up a bit and releases the oils into the glass. Top with ice, rhubarb simple syrup and vodka. Stir so the syrup doesn’t sit at the bottom of the glass.
Top all with a splash of club soda or sparkling water. Garnish.
Make this simple sip all summer long!
If You are Looking for More Vodka Cocktails, Try These!
- Concord Grape Moscow Mule
- Latte Martini and Blueberry Pie Cocktail
- Adult Purple Cow
- Rosemary Grapefruit Moscow Mule
- Salted Bourbon Butterscotch White Russian
- Black and Tangerine Vodka Tonic
- Chai Toasted Cream White Russian
- Spicy Bloody Mary
- Polyjuice Potion
- Galaxy Moscow Mule
Rhubarb Basil Cocktail
This rhubarb vodka cocktail uses the rhubarb simple syrup which has a tart sweetness that paired well with the aromatic spiciness of the fresh basil. A bit of sparkling soda water gives the cocktail a nice effervescence making this drink very refreshing.
This is technically a smash cocktail. A smash is a classic drink with alcohol, but is not limited to gin or vodka. (We LOVE a whiskey smash!) A smash also has a sweetener like maple syrup, simple syrup or flavored syrup. Usually there is a herb and fruit that is muddled, too. Served over ice, as well.
This is an old picture, so if you have come here from this, you are in the right place!
What Ingredients are Needed for the Rhubasil Cocktail?
- Basil – fresh picked basil is the best choice. Make sure you have some extra for the garnish!
- Vodka – just use your favorite brand!
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup – here is the recipe for our Rhubarb Simple Syrup, and of course homemade is best! If you want to know how to make regular simple syrup, try our recipe!
- Sparkling Water or Club Soda – use a bubbly beverage to top it, which makes for a super refreshing sip!
Tips & Tricks
- Rhubarb Liquor – there are rhubarb gin brands, as well as us having our own rhubarb gin and rhubarb vodka! If you want even more rhubarb flavor in this drink, you can use one of these instead of the vodka. A botanical gin would be lovely in this too, to highlight the rhubarb flavors.
- Other Flavors – if you want some sour flavor in this recipe feel free to add some fresh lemon juice or fresh lime juice. Just a barspoon or so.
- Garnishes – use a bunch of basil, rhubarb ribbon, one of you rhubarb stalks, mint leaves or lemon wheel!
- Glass – you can serve this tart flavor, gorgeous color cocktail in any glass you want. But, make sure you have a chilled cocktail glass, because this one will warm up quick if you don’t chill your glass or serve with a lot of ice from your ice cube tray!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Rhubarb Cocktails
- Rhubarb Pie Cocktail – Boulder Locavore
- Strawberry Rhubarb Gin Fizz – Kara Lydon
- Rhubarb Collins – Modern Wifestyle
- Strawberry Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail – Cake N Knife
A light cocktail with the delightful flavors of rhubarb and basil. This pink cocktail is so perfect for spring.
- 2-3 basil leaves (more for garnish)
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup
- sparkling water or club soda
Tear apart a few basil leaves and place in the bottom of the glass with the vodka.
Muddle leaves and vodka.
Fill the glass with ice, top with the rhubarb syrup and sparkling water.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 0gSugar: 42gProtein: 0g
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com