Last Updated on October 10, 2023 by Leah Hall
A Campfire Mule topped with toasted marshmallows! This Moscow Mule is a great variation of the classic drink!
This Campfire Mule is perfect for when you are at a cabin or camping and you probably have marshmallows anyway! So toast those babies up and garnish your mules!
Nothing shows the beginning of fall quite like the smell of a bonfire. It brings to mind crunching through leaves, picking pumpkins and toasting marshmallows.
The combination of smoky mezcal and sweet amaretto makes this Campfire mule so tasty. By adding the citrus and spicy bite of the lime juice with ginger beer makes for a great sipper around the campfire as well as all year long!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
The smokiness of this Moscow Mule is brought about by the smoky mezcal. To make this cocktail a bit sweeter and add some great rich flavors, we used amaretto to add a bit of spice. This smoky sweet twist on the classic drink makes for a great campfire sip.
This sweet and smoky mezcal mule brings out the bite of the ginger and goes well with the sweetness of the marshmallows.
What Ingredients are Needed for the Campfire Mule Cocktail?
- Mezcal – mezcal is a distilled liquor made from agave. Once the agave are harvested they are roasted underground with hot coals where they come into direct contact with smoke. Not all mezcal is smoky. But our favorite brands are: Montelobos Espadin, Del Maguey Vida, or Illegal Joven.
- Amaretto – almond liqueur, which adds a nutty flavor to this mule!
- Lime Juice -a great citrus ingredient in every Moscow Mule!
- Ginger Beer – the bite of this carbonated beverage adds great ginger flavor to this cocktail. (Note: NOT ginger ale. The two are not the same!)
- Marshmallows – while optional, we think they are a great treat with your cocktail, and the toasted outside adds a lot to the drink, too!
Moscow Mule Recipes
We started out with the classic Moscow Mule recipe with lime juice and ginger beer. Of course the classic version uses vodka, but we wanted something darker and richer for this, and didn’t want to add a simple syrup, so we swapped the vodka for mezcal.
The added amaretto adds sweet, and the toasted marshmallows on top are great if you dunk them in the drink. They are tasty as snacks while sipping, too, so either way, it’s a win!
The crisp ginger beer gives a hint of a spicy bite and keeps the Campfire Mule from getting overly sweet while adding a bit of refreshing effervescent fizz. Toasted marshmallows are the ideal garnish, and gives a bit more toasted character to the Campfire Mule.
Unlike some of our other Moscow mule recipes like the Blueberry Cucumber Mule or our Caramel Apple Mule, this Mule is a bit more boozy. Also try our Maple Syrup Mule and Blackberry Sage Mule for more fall flavors.
Tips & Tricks
- Copper Mug – if you don’t have a copper mug, that is ok. But, just know that the crushed ice and copper mugs will keep your drink extra cold. Especially good for sitting around a hot campfire!
- Crushed Ice – necessary for ultimate coldness. We use a Lewis Bag and mallet to crush ours at home!
- Toasted Marshmallows – obviously you need to toast them over your campfire to use as garnish, but if you aren’t having a fire, a culinary torch will be perfect!
The Campfire Mule gets its flavors from liquor rather than fresh fruit or flavored syrups, so the Campfire Mule can pack a real kick!
Other Mule Recipes
- Hatch Chile & Raspberry
- Yule Mule
- Orange Mule
- Non Alcoholic Cranberry
- Concord Grape
- Spicy Pineapple Strawberry
- Sunrise Mule
- Peach & Basil
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #gastronomcocktails so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Mule Recipes
- Gingerbread Mule – The Speckled Palate
- Bourbon Moscow Mules – A Nerd Cooks
- Spiced Pear Moscow Mule – Strawberry Blondie KItchen
- Apple Cider Moscow Mule – Umami Girl
- Pumpkin Moscow Mule – Cupcakes and Cutlery
Other Cocktails with Marshmallows
- Marshmallow Vodka Cocktail – Nellie Bellie
- Toasted Smore Martini – The Cookie Rookie
- Roasted Marshmallow Coffee Cocktail Shakes – Marla Meridith
A smoky Moscow Mule that is sweet, and comes with a marshmallow!
Campfire Moscow Mule Cocktail
- 1.50 ounce mezcal
- .75 ounce amaretto
- .50 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
Combine mezcal, amaretto, lime juice, and ginger beer with ice in a copper mug.
Toast marshmallows to your liking (lightly toasted or burned!)
Stick marshmallows on to garnish pick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 0.2gSaturated Fat: 0.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 35gProtein: 0.1g
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Gastronomblog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com