Bacon? Asparagus? Yes! Great for dinner or as an appetizer!
Just about anything with bacon is a hit in our house, so when we offered to make some appetizers for a recent get together, we knew that bacon would be one of the first ingredients! We wanted to make something that would be a good finger food for eating at a party, so we decided to make some flat breads that would be decadently savory and delicious and would be a great pairing for the Peach and Basil Shrub cocktail we were going to be drinking that night!
Knowing that bacon would be on whatever we made, we looked for combination of toppings that would go along with bacon. We decided on a Bacon and Blue Cheese Flat Bread, which featured creamy tangy blue cheese, caramelized sweet red onion, fresh asparagus and smokey crisp bacon!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
We started out by using our go to pizza dough recipe, the one we use every Sunday night during the winter when we have pizza night. This pizza dough works really well for making a great puffy crust and if you roll it out really thin, it will make a great crispy crust.
For these flat breads we wanted a nice crispy thin crust, so we made sure to start with small balls of dough and roll them out really thin, then par baked them to get a head start on baking before we added the toppings.
A quick brush of olive oil and a dusting of salt, fresh cracked black pepper and garlic powder gives the crust a delicious golden color and an extra pop of flavor.
For our toppings, we started out by cooking up a batch of thick cut peppered bacon, then allowing them to cool on a baking rack. Cooling bacon on a baking rack helps keep the bacon crispier, and lets the extra bacon grease drip off. Once cool, we rough chopped the bacon so we could get lots of bacon in each bite.
We reserved a bit of the bacon grease to cook up the thinly sliced red onions, which imparts a richness to the sweet onions. We chose to par boil the asparagus, as we like having a little snap in our asparagus. Once we had the prep done, we were ready to get started on assembling the flat breads.
We begin the assembly process by spreading out the asparagus, bacon and onions across the crusts. Next we spread out blue cheese crumbles and then topped it with a nice Italian cheese blend. With this being a flat bread, we went a little lighter than we would on the cheese than we would on a pizza.
By the way, does anyone know the difference between a pizza and a flat bread? If you do, leave us a comment below and let us know!
We really loved how our Bacon and Blue Cheese Flat Breads came out, and they were a big hit with all the guests at our get together. The blue cheese crumbles brought a nice tangy creaminess, and since the crumbles don’t spread evenly like the shredded cheese, they were like little surprises in every couple of bites.
The caramelized red onions lent a sweet, savory flavor that balanced out the smokey, salty bacon. The asparagus added a nice snap and a little roasted sweetness that was a great partner to the bacon. Enjoy!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Flatbread Recipes
Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction – Joyful Healthy Eats
Shrimp Scampi Flatbread – Sugar Dish Me
Spicy Italian Flat Bread – Budget Bytes
Chicken Florentine Flat Bread – Creme de la Crumb
Brussels Sprouts Flat Bread – Two Peas and Their Pod
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles,
- 8 oz Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 batch Pizza dough (see below)
- garlic powder
- Olive Oil
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water (110F water)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Make a batch of Pizza dough (see below)
- Preheat an oven to 425.
- Cook the bacon and once cool, rough chop.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease.
- Sautee the onions in the reserved bacon grease until onions start to turn transparent.
- Remove onions from the heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, place asparagus in the water for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and place asparagus into ice water. Once cool, drain and allow to dry.
- Separate dough into small balls around 3 inches around.
- Flour a surface, and roll dough into long thin ovals around 1/4 inch thick.
- Place rolled dough onto greased pans.
- Brush dough with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place into oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove flat bread and top with toppings.
- Place back into the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add honey to the warm water and stir to dissolve.
- Add yeast, and allow to proof (start to make bubbles)
- Place the Flour, salt and pepper into a mixer bowl.
- Turn the mixer on and add yeast mixture and oil.
- When dough begins to clump, switch to a dough hook.
- Mix until the dough begins to make a smooth ball.
- Mix for 5 minutes, adding flour if needed to keep the dough from sticking and to build a strong elastic dough.
- Allow dough to rest in a covered mixing bowl in a warm place to rise.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!