A twist on the classic Puppy Chow!
One of our kids’ favorite treats (we are pretty into it as well) is Puppy Chow, that lovely peanut butter and chocolate treat that is a delightful combination of sweet and crunchy. We were getting ready for a play date with some of our boys friends and our oldest requested that we make some Puppy Chow as the special treat for his friends.
We pulled out all the ingredients but were missing the chocolate chips! Necessity is the mother of invention, so we tried out butterscotch chips instead of chocolate. What do you know, this version is nearly as good as the original!
Using butterscotch chips gives the flavor of caramel with the peanut butter, making a slightly sweeter and lighter than the normal chocolate. The flavor is reminiscent of a blondie brownie, full of a caramel, the peanut butter giving a nutty flavor that perfectly pairs up with the butterscotch.
For a happy accident, this came out great, and the kids loved it! We also think this would be great with some pecans or toasted almonds mixed in. Try out this delicious twist on the original! Make sure to check out our Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pies, too!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Puppy Chow Recipes
Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow – The Almond Eater
Chocolate Caramel Puppy Chow – The Salty Marshmallow
Peanut Butter Pretzel Puppy Chow – Take Two Tapas
Lemon Puppy Chow – What Megan’s Making
Orange Creamsicle Puppy Chow – The Gunny Sack
- 9 cups Chex cereal (any kind is fine)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure out half the cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Microwave chips, peanut butter and butter in 30 second intervals until melted. Probably 2 - 2 1/2 minutes. Stir between 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of mixture over cereal, stir until coated. Add remaining cereal and mixture, stir to coat again.
- Pour mixture into a ziploc bag or large paper sack. Cover with powdered sugar, shake until coated. Spread on wax paper to cool.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!