A root veggie salad that uses all the fresh spring vegetables!
One of the best parts of our weekly trips to the farmer’s markets is the ever changing variety of produce that we have a chance to explore. This week we ran across a new kind of beet for us at one of the stands, a bright orange beet (aka a golden beet). Not wanting to pass up the chance to explore a new root vegetable, we grabbed a bunch and brought them home.
With a nice bunch of fresh radishes from another stand and some beautiful multi-colored carrots in the fridge at home, we had an idea for a fresh root vegetable salad that would showcase some of these beautiful spring root vegetables.
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
Typically people think of root vegetables like beets, potatoes, and carrots as fall or winter veggies, but late spring and early summer can bring some delicious root veggies that are tender and sweet. Warm days and cool nights keep the veggies from getting bitter or tough. Having the chance to get these fresh vegetables right off the farm helps keep them even more crisp and crunchy.
Dressed with a tangy apple cider mustard vinaigrette, the root veggies have a sweet cool crunch which holds up due to them being raw. Letting the veggies sit in contact with the vinaigrette for at least an hour helps to get the flavors to meld together.
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
- 4 golden beets, peeled and shaved
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, shaved
- 1 small bunch (5-6) radishes, trimmed and clean, shaved
- 2 Tbsp fresh leaf cilantro
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
- black pepper to taste, about 1/4 tsp
- Slice veggies with a mandolin or a slicing disc in a food processor.
- Top with dressing (recipe below) Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- Whisk until mustard and honey are fully disolved.
- Pour over veggies.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!