One of our favorite things about the early season farmer’s markets are the fresh herbs and wonderfully tart fresh rhubarb. This past week we brought home a nice batch of rhubarb that we used to make a delicious strawberry and rhubarb tart. We had a few stalks left over and not wanting to waste the fresh produce, we decided to make a rhubarb syrup that we could use in some cocktails. This cocktail uses the rhubarb simple syrup which has a tart sweetness that paired well with the aromatic spiciness of the fresh basil. A bit of sparkling soda water gives the cocktail a nice effervescence making this drink very refreshing.
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 3 oz Rhubarb simple syrup (recipe below)
- Sparkling water or club soda
- crushed ice
- 2-3 basil leaves (more for garnish)
- 1 stalk rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- dash salt
- Tear apart a few basil leaves and place in the bottom of the glass with the vodka. Muddle.
- Fill the glass with ice, top with the rhubarb syrup and sparkling water. Garnish with basil.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then strain out the rhubarb and then place in a storage bottle or jar. Store in the fridge.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin