Rhubarb and basil, fresh out of our garden into a cocktail!
One of our favorite things about the early season farmer’s markets are the fresh herbs and wonderfully tart fresh rhubarb. This past week we brought home a nice batch of rhubarb that we used to make a delicious strawberry and rhubarb tart. We had a few stalks left over and not wanting to waste the fresh produce, we decided to make a rhubarb syrup that we could use in some cocktails.
This cocktail uses the rhubarb simple syrup which has a tart sweetness that paired well with the aromatic spiciness of the fresh basil. A bit of sparkling soda water gives the cocktail a nice effervescence making this drink very refreshing.
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 3 oz Rhubarb simple syrup (recipe below)
- Sparkling water or club soda
- crushed ice
- 2-3 basil leaves (more for garnish)
- 1 stalk rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- dash salt
- Tear apart a few basil leaves and place in the bottom of the glass with the vodka.
- Fill the glass with ice, top with the rhubarb syrup and sparkling water.
- Garnish with basil.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then strain out the rhubarb and then place in a storage bottle or jar. Store in the fridge.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!