A combination of Nutella and banana in a hand held pie? Yes, please!
These hand pies are sweet little treats that are perfect for a school lunch, a simple dessert or a quick on the go snack. Combining the rich creamy chocolate flavor of Nutella and banana in a flaky buttery pastry crust, everyone in our family enjoyed these little gems.
They were especially delicious when served warm, when the Nutella was runny. They were quick and easy to make, and we found it was a fun way to get our kiddos involved in cooking a yummy treat! If you want a savory hand pies, you will want to try out our Savory Irish Stout Hand Pies!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Hand Pie Recipes
Blueberry Hand Pies – King Arthur Flour
Apple Hand Pies – Brown Eyed Baker
Peach Hand Pies – Shugary Sweets
Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies – Just a Taste
Mini Smores Hand Pies – Betty Crocker
Other Pie Recipes
Boozy Pumpkin Eggnog Pie – Pineapple and Coconut
Fireball Whiskey Apple Pies – Mantitlement
Boozy Pecan Pie Bars with Sea Salt – Minimalist Baker
The Best Boozy Banana Cream Pie – Baker By Nature
Boozy Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Pie – Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4-5 Tbsp cold water
- 1 banana
- milk (about 1 Tbsp)
- egg wash (1 egg yolk, 1 Tbsp water)
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-sized.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 Tbsp at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- Onto a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll from center to edge. However big you want this is fine, it just needs to make 16 circles total.
- We used a 5 inch round glass and cut around to form the circles. Makes around 16 half moon hand pies.
- Place 1 Tbsp Nutella and 1 slice of banana on 1/2 of a pastry round.
- Dab milk on edges of round, fold other side over.
- Seal with your fingers, and then use a fork to finish sealing. Flute the edge with the fork, making it as pretty as you want.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Finish all hand pies, brush with egg wash for browning.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!