A boozy chocolate treat perfect for Valentine’s Day!
With Valentine’s Day coming up, lots of us are thinking about what kind of plans we can come up with to make this romantic day a success! A lot of people make plans to go out to restaurants, but that can sometimes be a real pain, especially when everyone else wants to go out on the same night! We like to avoid the crazy rush and just make our own romantic dinner at home, sort of a DIY dining experience!
One key part to making any romantic meal a success is a fantastic finish with a great dessert like our Chocolate Bourbon Tart!
This post contains sponsored content brought to you by Baker’s Supermarkets. We received free product to review, but all opinions presented here are 100% our own. This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
Chocolate is considered one of the great aphrodisiacs, so what better way to cap off a romantic dinner than with a little chocolate that might get you in the mood for love? While we could have gone out and bought some pre-made candies, making a chocolate dessert ourselves lets us make it the way we wanted!
Obviously our specialty is all things spirits related we decided that a little bourbon infused chocolate dessert would be just the ticket to making the perfect end to a romantic dinner!
We headed out to our local Baker’s Supermarket to shop for the ingredients we needed for this recipe. We grabbed some Kroger’s brand chocolate chips, dipping chocolate, heavy cream and some vanilla wafers. While we were shopping, we noticed a great deal on some fresh strawberries when we used the Baker’s Plus card so we decided that the sweet red fruit would be a perfect partner to the rich semi-sweet chocolate we were going to use for the tart.
We also figured making some classic chocolate covered strawberries would be nice sweet treat to go along side the Chocolate Bourbon Tart.
The recipe for the Chocolate Bourbon Tart results in a dish that looks elegant and refined, but is really quite simple to make, which makes it perfect for making it yourself at home! Starting out with a crust made from butter, sugar and ground up vanilla wafers, the crust is buttery and crispy with a nice vanilla flavor.
We ground up the vanilla wafers in a food processor to create a crumb crust and then pressed the crust into the tart pans.
For the filling, we used a combination of dark and semi-sweet chocolate to create a rich, complex chocolate filling. A good tart has to have a nice creamy custard, so we used a mixture of heavy cream and the chocolate chips to create a smooth custard filling.
The dark chocolate brings just enough bitterness to the tart to keep it from being overly sweet, while providing a perfect foil to the sweet tartness of the strawberries.
We wanted to add a special touch to the custard, so we went to our specialty and added a little splash of bourbon to the custard while it was cooking. The bourbon adds a nice undertone of vanilla and caramel that ties the chocolate and vanilla wafer crust together.
The bourbon also enhances the dark flavors of the chocolate and adding a nice perfume of whiskey to the tart.
Fresh strawberries are another famous Valentine’s day treat, so why not use them to add a sweet fruity edge to the tarts and a bright splash of color? We thinly sliced the strawberries to release the juices an open up the smell of fresh strawberry, plus they look a bit like little hearts, which is totally romantic!
We finished the tarts by topping them with the sliced strawberries, some vanilla infused whipped cream and one of those chocolate covered strawberries. Fresh orange zest adds a bright citrus perfume and a pretty bright splash of color to the tarts.
We hope you will embrace your inner DIY spirit and give our Chocolate Bourbon Tarts a try for your Valentine’s Day dinner to finish your romantic dinner with a rich elegant dessert! Head over to your local Baker’s Supermarkets and check out their great products which will help you bring your best to their table!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
Other Chocolate Boozy Tarts
Triple Chocolate Tart with Boozy Whipped Cream – Epicurious
No Bake Strawberry and Chocolate Boozy Tart – Giraffes Can Bake
Bittersweet Chocolate Bourbon Tart – Love and Olive Oil
Irish Cream Mint Chocolate Tart – Lemons for Lulu
Boozy Chocolate and Pear Tart – Essential Vegan
- 8 oz Vanilla Wafers
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 oz (half stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 5 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In food processor, pulse the cookies into crumbs. Add in sugar, salt and melted butter, pulse until grainy and crumbs are slightly damp.
- Turn the mixture onto the springform pan and press it on the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup to get the rounded edges if needed. Place pan in the freezer for 5 minutes, then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until crust is just dry to the touch but not browned, about 12-13 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, stir together the cream and milk until it is at a low simmer. Bubbles will form on the sides of the pan. Don't scald or burn the milk. Remove the pan from the heat, add both kinds of chocolate and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Set aside for at least 5 minutes, until just slightly warm.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg, egg yolk, flour, bourbon and salt. Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture until blended. Pour the filling into the tart shell and bake for 20-25 minutes until just the middle jiggles a bit. Remove from oven and move to wire rack to cool at least 15 minutes. Remove tart from pan and cool completely.
- Serve either at room temperature or just out of the fridge.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!