A great appetizer made with Smirnoff Ice and chicken wings!
We love a great appetizer during the holidays as we do a lot of entertaining, and we are always looking for something new we can make to share with our guests. We were approached by the folks at Smirnoff Ice to create some holiday appetizers using Smirnoff Ice, so this was a great excuse to play around in the kitchen and come up with something new!
We came up with a great recipe fore Citrus Asian Chicken Wings using Smirnoff Ice as the glazing sauce and marinade! This recipe for Citrus Asian Chicken Wings is easy, delicious and we think it would be the star of any party you will go to!
This post contains sponsored content brought to you by Smirnoff. We received free products and compensation to use in this promotion, but all opinions and views presented here are 100% our own. This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
Yep, you read that right, we used Smirnoff Ice, the original lemon lime flavor in these wings, twice! First we used it first in the marinade combined with some soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic.This marinade brings a nice asian flavor to the wings and seasons up the meat at the same time. After a few hours in the marinade, the wings are ready for the oven!
While the wings were in the oven, we whipped up a little glaze to finish up the wings and add another layer of flavor. We made a nice glaze with Smirnoff Ice Original, teriyaki, brown sugar and honey, with a little garlic, chili powder and black pepper! There are a lot of big flavors here, but they mix together to make a great combination of spice and sweet with just a citrus tang of Smirnoff Ice Original!
After glazing the wings we topped them with some green onion and cilantro leaves. We loved the touch of greens on the top as a garnish, and especially for their flavors! If you do happen to be one of those special folks who don’t like cilantro, you can leave off, and we promise we won’t judge you!
You can save the rest of the glaze to use as an extra dipping sauce, or really dunk the wings into the glaze to coat them, totally up to you! We preferred to use the dipping sauce as it makes it a little neater to eat with your fingers at a party, but if you are one of those folks who believes that wings should be a fully immersive experience, go ahead and sauce them up and get dirty!
We love to mix alcohol and food together, so when Smirnoff Ice contacted us to make them two food recipes, and 2 cocktails for the holidays, we were super excited to have the chance to share these recipes with our readers! Not only did we end up with this all star wing recipe, but we made a whole line up of recipes perfect for entertaining at your next holiday party!
Be sure to check out our Mini Berry Bites for dessert, plus our Caramel Green Apple Cocktail and the Holiday Berry Sparkler are fantastic drinks sure to be enjoyed by your guests! Hope you check these great recipes out, too!
We love a great wing recipe, we think you will too! We think that our interpretation is pretty tasty with the Smirnoff Ice Original in it! We also hope that you make these ASAP for your holiday events coming up, because we think you and your friends and family will love them! And remember, you don’t have to share with the kids, it’s an adults only treat (that’s not a bad thing, we promise!) It’s like having a cocktail and appetizer all wrapped into one!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
- 2 lbs wings
- 1 bottle Smirnoff Ice - we used the original flavor
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste - about 1/2 tsp each
- 3 green onions, green and white parts diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups Smirnoff Ice Original
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp Teriyaki
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- black pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients, except green onions and cilantro) including wings in a large bowl or ziploc bag. Let wings marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425. Take wings out of container and place on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until wings are golden brown and crispy.
- Mix the corn starch and Smirnoff Ice together in a sauce pan.
- Add honey, brown sugar, pepper and chili powder and teriyaki to the sauce pan
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil and allow to simmer, stirring regularly.
- Allow to reduce until the glaze is thickened and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour half of the glaze into a large bowl for glazing the wing, reserving the other half for a dipping sauce to be served with the glazed wings.
- Garnish with green onions and cilantro, serve immediately
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!Follow my blog with Bloglovin