A sweet and spicy take on a pizza!
Pizza is one of those meals that just about everyone likes and is really easy to make at home. Pizza looks great, tastes even better and just about always hits the spot. As a bonus, it is one of those meals that you can make with your kids and get them involved in the kitchen which is a great way to teach them to cook. Rolling the dough, picking out their toppings and sauces and throwing on the cheese can get kids excited and enthused about a meal. We love to make small individual sized pizzas for the kids and let them make their own pizzas, which tends to get them to actually eat their dinner! Or course using peaches and raspberry on this pizza got our boys attention and we had no problem getting them to eat this tasty pie!
This post contains affiliate links for products that we think you as readers might find useful, and we make commission off of these! For more details about our affiliates, click our Disclosure and Contacts Page.
For this pizza we decided to go with some nontraditional toppings that really work well together to make a pie that hits the sweet and savory taste buds at the same time. We started out by brushing the dough with a simple sauce made of olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to form the base and add a rich savory base. Roasted onion gives a sweet sharp bite while fresh basil and chopped green onions add a fresh aromatic burst to the pie. Tart raspberries and sweet caramelized peaches add a fresh sweetness that really goes nicely with the garlic and fresh herbs.
Chopped strips of salt cured ham brings a nice saltiness that enhances the sweet and savory flavors and helps to balance out the sweetness of the peaches. Golden toasted colby jack and cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of creamy mozzarella top this pie off with a delicious cheesy layer. To further add a bit more pop to the adult’s pizza, we added a drizzle of Crazy Gringa’s Raspberry Cayenne pepper hot sauce. Locally made in Omaha by our friends at The Crazy Gringa, the raspberry cayenne hot sauce really added a fantastic splash of heat that really complimented the sweetness of the fruit.
This pizza was a big hit at our house, with our seven year old remarking that it was like “dessert for dinner!” and our three year old going for three helpings! Both of us loved our pizza, the combination of sweet, savory and spicy making each bite a tasty adventure. It was even fantastic cold! We hope you give this unique combination a try and enjoy it as much as we did!
- Pizza dough recipe of your choice (can use refrigerated if you would like)
- Salt, pepper and garlic to taste
- Olive Oil
- 1 large peach, sliced thinly, peeled if desired
- 1/2 lb of ham, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese, about 1 1/2 cups
- green onion, chopped, 1 stalk
- 10-12 basil leaves
- raspberries, enough for at least 1 per slice, about 9
- Hot sauce of your choice - we enjoyed the Crazy Gringa Cayenne Raspberry
- Roll out your pizza dough, brush with olive oil, top with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Distribute peach slices, ham, and onion on dough. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.
- When pizza is done baking, top with green onion, basil leaves, raspberries and a liberal addition of the hot sauce of your choice!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!Follow my blog with Bloglovin