How can you go wrong with adult popsicles? We had a 1/3 bottle of Chianti that needed to be imbibed, but I just didn’t feel like drinking it (I know, crazy, right?!) so I thought, why not freeze it and make something that I can enjoy when it is hot out instead of a glass of room temp red wine? We have an abundance of basil in our garden, and as basil pairs perfectly with the spiciness of the Chianti, I made a blueberry/basil simple syrup to go with the wine. Besides, I needed some blueberries make it healthy, right?
The blueberry basil simple syrup has a nice fruity sweetness with a fresh herbal freshness and is the ingredient that turns these popsicles into a a real sweet treat. The syrup also lowers the alcohol content enough to allow the mixture to freeze. For some alcoholic icepops you might have issues getting the mixture to freeze hard enough, so it is necessary to mix the booze with a syrup or other liquid mix until the percentage of alcohol is low enough to allow the popsicles. In our case, the simple syrup made for a delicious combination with the chianti and complimented the wine while adding another layer of flavor. We hope you will enjoy these boozy adult popscicles this summer! Cheers!
- Red Wine, less than 1/2 a bottle (any kind you like, but dry reds such as Chianti, Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon would work best in this)
- Blueberries (about 4-5 in each popsicle mold)
- Basil Blueberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- Basil Blueberry Simple Syrup
- Basil leaves (8-10 torn up, tear into about 4 pieces each)
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Place blueberries in popsicle containers.
- Combine liquids and pour into the popsicle molds.
- Make as many as you want!
- Freeze for 8-10 hours until firm. Cheers!
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Break up the blueberries and take off heat and let cool.
- Strain to take out basil pieces and blueberries.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin