A great breakfast full of protein to help you start your day!
Folks always say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with two busy boys in our house that demand food as soon as they get up, breakfasts often consist of bowls of cereal or yogurt to quickly sate the beasts! However on the weekends, we get a chance to slow down and come up with a breakfast that is a little more substantial and definitely more delicious.
One of our go to meals is a fried egg sandwich, a classic breakfast staple that serves nicely as a basic building block in making a variety of sandwiches using different seasonal ingredients.
We have been getting lots of great avocados recently which in our house typically gets turned into guacamole due to popular demand, but every now and then we can sneak one or two avocados away from the chip and dip crowd and use them for breakfast. Smash up an avocado and smear it on a crusty piece of toast and you can get a deliciously simple breakfast item.
Add in a few pieces of crispy bacon, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms, top with a fried egg and that simple breakfast goes to the next level and becomes a savory decadent breakfast that is an absolute star on any breakfast plate.
The combination of cool creamy avocado and crunchy salty bacon is a real winner, as the smokey salt of the bacon really brings out the avocado flavor. The mushrooms become little flavor sponges, soaking up the savory garlic and bacon flavors while adding just a hint of chewy texture. Add in the luscious runny yolk from a sunny side up or over easy fried egg, and the flavors are deliciously rich and satisfyingly fatty.
Top up with a few sprinkles of your favorite hot sauce (we obviously recommend our personal favorite from Crazy Gringa Hot Sauce) and the little bursts of heat and cool makes each bite fantastic! Give this breakfast a try next weekend and let us know how you liked it in the comments below!
Like this recipe? Try these below, too!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 clove garlic (or tsp garlic powder)
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice toast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from the pan.
- Add in the sliced onion and mushroom with the bacon drippings
- saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent, add in the garlic, salt and pepper.
- While the onions and mushrooms are caramelizing, fry the eggs in another pan. We recommend a sunny side up or over easy style egg for maximum runny yolk action!
- Toast the bread
- Cut the avocado in half, spreading one half on the toast, and saving the other half for slicing to be placed on the plate.
- Top the smashed avocado with the strips of bacon, the caramelized onions and mushrooms.
- Top with two fried eggs and sprinkle with your favorite hot sauce.
Interested in stocking your own home bar? Make sure to see our favorites at our Amazon Store!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and of course free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all the recipes delivered to your inbox when we post), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!