This coffee cake is one of our favorites, and it has a long history in our family as it is the coffee cake that Mrs. Nom grew up eating from childhood just about every weekend for breakfast. Passed down from her grandmother, when this cake appears on our table, it doesn’t stick around very long as our boys will gobble it right up. Light and airy and full of sugar and spice with a streusel topping, this cake is perfect as a main dish at breakfast with a cup of coffee, or as a sweet dessert in the evening.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, cinnamon and oil in a mixer. Mix well.
- Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add to remaining mixture in mixing bowl egg, buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased and floured pan.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture on top over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.