As we inch ever closer to Spring, we are always looking for those perfect cocktails for an afternoon enjoying the beautiful weather on the patio. One thing we always enjoy is a nice glass of lemonade, especially the homemade style made from fresh squeezed lemons. Fresh squeezed lemonade is one of our boys’ favorite treats we often get while visiting the Omaha Farmer’s Market, and the stand that we often visit serves their lemonade with fresh fruit squeezed in along with the fresh lemons. We recently had a nice blueberry lemonade which inspired the basis for our next cocktail!
We started out with gin, which goes really well with lemons. We squeezed some lemons, and then added in some basil infused simple syrup to sweeten up the mix. Fresh blueberries adds a sweet fruitiness that balances out the tart of the lemons. The basil flavor brings an herbal spiciness that pulls the botanical flavors of the gin into the forefront, adding a layer of complexity to the drink that reminds you that this isn’t your kiddie lemonade! Cheers!
- 10 blueberries
- 3 basil leaves and 1 oz simple syrup (or basil simple syrup)
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1.5 oz gin or vodka
- 3 oz club soda or sparkling water
- Muddle the blueberries, basil leaves and simple syrup together in a shaker.
- Add lemon juice and vodka and some ice.
- Shake to mix.
- Strain and pour over ice in a rocks glass or highball.
- Add club soda or sparkling water.
- Garnish with extra blueberries, basil leaves or a lemon slice.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin