Pumpkin recipes are all the rage these days, so when we ended up with some left over pumpkin after our Pumpkin Harvest Cocktail last week we decided we needed to find a great dessert that would fit right in with that great cocktail. Most pumpkin bars are the cinnamon spice cake with a cream cheese frosting, but this recipe changes it up by adding in chocolate chips.
A great combination of pumpkin and chocolate, these pumpkin bars are dense and soft, almost cake-like. The chocolate chips give each bite a sweet creamy burst of chocolate. This would be a great dessert for a Halloween party, or even as a different dessert for a Thanksgiving meal.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (13.5 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips & 2 Tbsp for top
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Wait until the butter is not so hot before adding, as not to scramble the egg.
- Add flour and mix until just combined, don't overmix batter.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into pan , smooth the top with spatula. Sprinkle the 2 Tbsp chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or so or until a toothpick comes out clean. You may need a few more minutes, depending on the moisture content of your pumpkin.