Living in Nebraska gives us a unique opportunity to experience harvest time as our state is still quite closely connected with the farms where the produce comes from. Even living in Omaha, we see fields being harvested on the edge of town, the big combines and grain trucks kicking up dust clouds into the sky giving the sunshine a golden glow that only makes the blazing orange and red maples look even prettier. Apples and fresh cider from local orchards start to appear in the stores and if on cue, our kids start bugging us to take trips to the orchards and pumpkin patch. We are lucky to have lots of great orchards just a short drive away, and before we know it we are lugging home a bushel of apples, a gallon of fresh pressed cider and pumpkins for decorating the house for Halloween.
About this time of year, anything pumpkin is hot, so it was only natural that we found a way to use some of the fruits of our labors to come up with a great pumpkin cocktail. The Pumpkin Harvest Cocktail combines the caramel and vanilla notes of bourbon, the tart sweetness of apple cider and the earthy sweetness of pumpkin to make a rich creamy cocktail that brings all the flavors of fall right into your glass!
- 3 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
- 1.75 oz bourbon
- .5 oz amaretto
- .75 oz Apple Cider
- .75 oz simple syrup (adjust amount to taste depending on the sweetness of the cider)
- .5 oz heavy cream
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- Pumpkin spice or fresh grated nutmeg for garnish
- Place all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously until mixture is frothy.
- Strain into a coupe and garnish with pumpkin spice or grated nutmeg.