This summer has been one of the best tomato seasons that we can remember, so with a bucket or two of tomatoes sitting on our kitchen counter needing to be eaten, we have found ourselves finding lots of new ways to enjoy tomatoes (our Tomato Water Bloody Mary) but sometimes you just want to return to something that is classic. We had gotten up early to head down to the farmer’s market and had skipped breakfast, so by the time we got back home we were famished, and with it being brunch time it only made sense to mash two classic sandwiches into one fantastic breakfast.
Combining the fried egg sandwich and the BLT, this sandwich takes the best of both sandwiches and melds them into what might be the perfect summer breakfast sandwich! Runny silky egg yolks and the juicy tangy tomato combine with the sweet onions and salty bacon to make a sandwich full of layers. Topping it off with a bit of fresh picked basil gave a splash of herbal freshness and really finished the sandwich.
- 2-3 slices of thick cut slab bacon
- 1 large tomato
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices bread
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- Slice the onions into thin slices
- Fry the bacon in a frying pan until crisp, remove and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tsp of the bacon fat.
- Add the onions to the pan and 1 tsp of the reserved bacon fat, salt pepper and a bit of garlic and saute until the onions are translucent and sweet.
- Remove the caramelized onions and add the remaining bacon fat to the dish.
- Fry the eggs to a sunny side up and put the toast into the toaster.
- Butter the toast.
- Assemble the sandwich by layering the caramelized onions, tomatoes, bacon strips, and top with the eggs.
- Garnish with fresh basil strips and a sprig of basil.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin